Strawberry and Spinach Salad, a fresh and easy seasonal salad with crunchy toasted pecans and a sweet and sour poppy seed and balsamic dressing. Perfect for lunch or parties.
I first discovered this strawberry spinach salad in a show on television, and thought to myself, its such a english and unusual concept, then i saw that the combination was a very classic one in many salad bars when i travelled abroad. A classic one, would have strawberries, baby spinach, some toasted almonds, and a sweet poppy seed dressing.
I always have to bring in my twist, we indians need our salad to be filling, we cannot have a only ghas-phoos salad, so i tend to incorporate some grain, or a grilled chicken for G, as he missed the chicken element in his meals, yes the drawbacks of marrying a tambrahm. It also makes the salad filling, and i can be assured hes full till he gets back home.
I prefer toasted pecans in this strawberry spinach salad instead, and i make a twisted balsamic and mustard dressing, which i can swear by, kick-ass indeed. You have to have to try it out.
If you like this, do try this out, you have more ideas, either ways, give us a shout out in comments below, or send us a mail at email@example.com. We love hearing from you, that is what keeps us going.
Ingredients for Salad
- 8-9 strawberries, washed and cut into quarts.
- 4-5 toasted pecans, an halfed
- 1 chicken breast, defrosted
- handful of baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1 tbsp of goats cheese or feta cheese (optional)
- 2-3 leaves of romaine lettuce, roughly torn
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey mustard
- 1/8 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/8 tsp crushed yellow mustard
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove minced
Directions for Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Prepare Poppy Seed dressing, pour it in a small jar, and shake well to let the flavors mix.
- Grill the chicken. Marinate the chicken in a dash of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill it on a grill pan, 4-5 minutes on both sides, or when till cooked through.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool, cut it into thin stripes after that.
- Mix all the other salad ingredients in a bowl with your fingers.
- Drizzle the dressing on top, and mix gently with open fingers, to distribute the dressing evenly.
- Top with the prettiest strawberries, some toasted pecans, and some goats cheese if you are having any.
- Toast the pecans for a better taste.
- Try arugula instead of spinach for a variation.
- If the dressing looks complex, use a basic vinaigrette dressing, made by mixing olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard, and it will taste equally good.
- Substitute pecans for the seed or nut of your choice to add the crunch.
- You can toast the pecans or almond on stop top, by frying them on a skillet for 10 minutes.