Roasted Pepper Caprese Salad is my twist to the Italian classic Caprese Salad with added greens, roasted red peppers and lentils.
I am a big fan of caprese Salad, tomatoes, supple boccaccini, a nice balsamic glaze, a perfect summer salad. I had once seen a Jamie oliver twist, of roasted pepper caprese, so i thought lets twist it further, add a mix of chards and arugula, and also some leftover lentils, and it did turn out great.
It was Valentines day yesterday, and its too cheesy, but i make something Italian on every valentines day. Coz on my first Valentine’s i made pasta, and got wine, so its like some silly tradition, but i like following it. So it was homemade Gnocchi in some chunky tomato sauce, and a Strawberry and mint Sangria. Why this information, well the Italian fever continued, and hence an Italian Salad.
My Salads are all very versatile, skip a few elements, and you should still be good. Like i had some cooked lentils, you can totally avoid it. I had red chards and arugula handy, you can use some mixed greens and basil instead.
- 1 red pepper
- 4 balls good-quality boccaccini cheese, cut into quarts
- 7-8 ripe cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup mixed greens (red chards & arugula)
- 2 tbsp puy lentils / masoor dal, cooked
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the red pepper directly on top of a gas flame let it blacken completely.
- You will need to keep turning it in between, when black, keep it under cold water, and remove the skin and the seeds from the inside.
- Cut into thin strips and set aside.
- Cut the boccaccini balls into quarts. Mix the quarts, tomato halves and red pepper strips and mixed greens.
- In a hot non stick pan, add the dressing ingredients, and heat for exactly a minute, and remove from heat.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing and serve, or even better, add the salad ingredients in the pan, and toss to evenly distribute the dressing.