Mango Beet Salad is a perfect summer salad, with cool and sweet mangoes paired with earthy beets and complimented with a lovely spicy honey balsamic dressing .
Beets are one of my favorite salad ingredients, and added to some couscous or wild rice, its a lovely filling salad to have. Come summers i wanted to try a salad combination, and that was beets and mangoes. I had a dressing in mind, i wanted a spicy balsimic-y dressing, to compliment the sweet mangoes, and didnt know what green would go best with it. Somehow the dressing pushed me towards bok choy and what a choice it was.
Always remember , you need something spicy and tart to complement sweet fruits in a salad. Like here. Also some bitter leaves like rocket would also work good, but since i was adding cooked rice, i thought bok choy will give it more of a rice bowl feel, and indeed i was right, eventhough i love my rockets, but here, the bok choy worked really good with the mangoes, and i wont trade it for even rockets. Hope you like the salad, even if you dont have balsamic, add just lemon, and you will be fine.
- 1 Beet, cut into thin strips
- 1 Mango, cut into similar strips
- 2 stems of bok choy, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup red rice, cooked
- 10-12 tiger prawns, deveined
- 1 cube goats cheese crumbled
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 pinch chilli flakes
- Cook the red rice as per directions and run it through cold water to avoid sticky lumps.
- Wash the beets and cut into thin 1 inch strips, tear the bok choys from the middle.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing, in a jar, and shake well to mix.
- Take a non stick pan, add some butter, grate a clove of garlic, add a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Add the prawns and fry for 4 minutes, till cooked. Let it cool.
- In the same pan, add the beets, sprinkle some salt, close with a lit and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, and let it char in the corners a little, remove and let it cool.
- In the same pan, add the bok choy, let it fry till it wilts a little, say 2 minutes, remove.
- When all elements are cold, mix with the rice.
- Drizzle the dressing just before serving, and serve.