Rainbow Cauliflower Rice Bowl is a surprise colorful fried rice bowl, with no rice in it. Yummy goodness, filling and yet no guilt attached to rice, a must try this summers.
The first time i read about cauliflower rice, i thought to myself, here comes yet another gimmick. But it truly is a blessing in disguise. For the uninitiated, cauliflower rice is grated cooked rice, used as a substitute for rice, and works beautifully, perfect accompaniment for a curry or dal, or just have it as is as a mock fried rice.
Top it with a egg drop, soft boiled eggs, or have it the desi way with a raita, and you will not miss rice, on the days you want to avoid it.
Here i call it rainbow, coz i added all the veggies available in the refrigerator to make it as colorful as possible, yes iam kinda obsessed with colors on my plate these days. I also experimented with a egg drop / poach, made a beet and spinach poach, quick fried some beets and spinach, and then broke an egg over it, it was brilliant, iam going to do it again for sure.
- 5-6 florets of cauliflower, grated
- 1/4 cup red and green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup beans, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup beets, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- handful of spinach, washed
- Chilli flakes / tobasco sauce
- Olive Oil
- Wash the cauliflower well, and grate it into rice like granules with a medium grater.
- Wash and finely chop the veggies, and keep them seperately, all veggies have different cooking time.
- Add some olive oil to a hot pan, add the onions, and fry till they become brown.
- Now add the beans and carrots and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Once they are a little soft, slowly add the rest, and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt, and chilli flakes, or the tobasco sauce.
- Add the Cauliflower rice, and fry for another 3-4 minutes, and cooked through.
- Transfer it to a flat bowl.
- Meanwhile microwave the finely chopped beets for 2 minutes, till soft.
- Take a non stick pan, some olive oil , add the beets, and the spinach leaves.
- Give a quick fry for a minute, till the leaves wilt, and gather them in the centre in a flat circle.
- With your spatula, make a small hole in the middle, and smaller holes around the beets and spinach mixture all over.
- Break 1 egg on top of it, cover with a lid and let it cook on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- When cooked partially transfer it on top of the rice bowl, and serve.
- I also topped it with some sprouts i had handy, totally omit able.