Quinoa Shrimp and Corn Salad is a quick fix wholesome salad with a good mix of protiens and carbs, apt as a meal or a side for summers.
Yes yes, again quinoa, again shrimp, but look close, theres corn, theres purple cabbage and more. So i make sure theres something different in there! This one is aromatic with parsley, and spicy frilled prawns and corn. So theres spicy prawns and sweet drilled corn to cut the spice.
This salad is inspired from a Southwestern Corn and Shrimp salad available on Wholefoods menus out there in the west, and is one of the fast moving items, probably because its powerpacked and has a burst of flavors as well. Salads ought to be tasty, else it cannot be sustainable for long.
You can make your own variation of salads with quinoa, i generally cook some veggies, and leave some raw to get the freshness right. Like the garlic and onions were cooked to give flavor to the quinoa, whereas the cucumber, red peppers were left raw, to get some crunch and freshness.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup purple cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
- handful of spinach, cut into strips
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon cut into wedges
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp butter
- Prepare the spicy prawns, Heat the butter in a non stick pan, add half of the chopped parsley, red chilli flakes, and salt, and garlic.
- Now add the prawns and fry on high heat for 2 minutes on each side, till brown on the edges.
- Remove from heat, and in the same pan, heat some oil, add the garlic and onion, and let fry for 30 secs.
- Add the purple cabbage and fry for 10-20 secs. Add the cooked quinoa, salt and pepper and fry for 30 secs. Add the chopped spinach and parsley.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool. Add the chopped cucumber, carrot and red peppers and mix.
- Squeeze some lemon juice, add the shrimps and serve.
- More Quinoa Salad :
- Read the Salad Dressings Simplified article to build your own favorite salad dressing.
- I have listed my favorite salad add ons, discover your choice of add ons there.
- Read the Salad Basics Decoded to read more on salad basics if it may interest you.