Plum and Pear Salad is a perfect summer salad with the goodness of summer fruits, and a lovely citrus berry dressing that compliments it well.
Iam a sucker for fruity salads, with some grilled chicken and some light citrus dressing. A lot of you have asked how do i plan my salad for the day, well, it mostly starts with whats there in the pantry, and hows the weather. These days summers guide most of the choice of salad, and hence some light cold and refreshing salads.
So i started with plums and pears, decided to pair it with some balsamic grilled chicken. If the chicken is balsamic grilled, i try to pair it with a citrus dressing to balance it out. I had 2 blackberries left in the refrigerator and i wanted to use it in a dressing, and boy it went so well with the citrus dressing. I wanted to use rocket leaves instead, but i hardly had any, so i made these with lettuce. I also added some cranberries for another dimension of flavor, and some toasted almonds for some crunch.
- 1 pear, cut into cubes
- 2 plums, cored, and cut into cubes
- 4-5 lettuce leaves, washed and torn
- 10-15 cranberries, cut into halves
- 10-15 almonds, toasted and halved
- 2 tbsp quinoa, cooked
- 1 inch goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 chicken breast, thawed, grilled
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 blackberry crushed(optional)
- salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and rocket leaves, if using
- Thaw the chicken in a water bath.
- And marinate it in oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on each side, and wrap it in an aluminium foil and rest.
- Cut the fruits in the desired sizes, and keep aside.
- Use the same grill pan to grill the plum pieces to charr on few sides.
- Make the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a small glass jar, and shake well to mix well.
- Shred the chicken to thin slices, and mix it with the other elements.
- Use some cooked quinoa, if you have them handy, add it to the salad.
- Toast the almonds for 2-3 minutes in a microwave, and cut into halves.
- toss the almonds on top of the salad and drizzle the dressing, crumble the goats cheese, right before serving.
- You can replace the fruits with other stoney fruits or juicy fruits like figs, with blood oranges or regular orange segments.
- This works beautifully with rocket and baby spinach too.
- The aluminium foil method, makes the chicken very juicy, try it.
- Read the Salad Dressings Simplified article to build your own favorite salad dressing.
- I have listed my favorite salad add ons, discover your choice of add ons there.
- Read the Salad Basics Decoded to read more on salad basics if it may interest you