PB&J Overnight Oats, a cold and creamy oats with chia seeds, banana, chunky peanut butter, and jam. Refrigerate overnight, and dig into the deliciousness the next morning.
I had tried overnight oats a few years back when it was a rage in the blogosphere, but frankly i never liked it. i found it too kaccha (uncooked), and felt i am better off with my cooked version of Fruit and Nut Oatmeal.
But with the scorching heat these days in Bangalore, i was forced to go that way again. Parents are home, and most days we are making 4 types of breakfast for 4 of us. So one less cooking time after the workouts and in the heat doesn’t hurt. The best part is its as simple as 5 ingredients, 5 minutes of prep, no cooking, easy ingredients, and healthy deliciousness guaranteed.
The key is to add healthy fats, proteins, and fiber to your breakfast! And overnight oats, or oatmeals do the trick. To top it oats are beneficial in various other ways :
- Oats aids healthy bowel relieving one from constipation due to the fibre.
- High in antioxidants.
- Can control cholestrol levels.
- Helps in Blood Sugar Control
- Aids in weight loss, as it keeps you full for long.
Chia seeds are a healthy mix of omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, and fiber. Peanut butter adds the crunch and is a source of fibre protein and good fat. I added some banana, as thats the only way i can eat bananas 😀
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt / homemade curd
- 1/2 cup almond milk / coconut milk / milk
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tsp strawberry preserve
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 banana, cut in round discs
- If you are not too concerned about the looks of your jar, then it doesnt matter. Else …
- Mix the oats, chia seeds, yogurt and milk in a bowl.
- First add 1/2 tsp of strawberry preserve in one corner of the bottom.
- Pour 1/4 of the oats mixture on top of it.
- Line 1/4 of the bananas on top of it.
- Top with 1/4 of the oats.
- Top with 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 3-4 slices of banana, 1/2 tsp of strawberry compote.
- Sprinkle a pinch of chia, and refrigerate overnight.
- Give it a stir the next day morning and have it after your workout.
- There are many variations of overnight oats possible.
- Replace the fruit with some other fruit, and other sweetener like honey.
- Add some nuts for crunch.
- Substitute with regular milk, or coconut milk.
- Play with the quantities of oats and chia as per your liking.