Lemon & Thyme Fish and Barley Salad is a wholesome screaming of freshness salad, subtle flavors from lemon and thyme with a perfect balance of carbs, and protein and veggies.
I try to incorporate a few elements in my salads always, as in this post on “Salad Basics Decoded”, greens, carbs and proteins, veggies, a good dressing, and some add ons if any. Like in this salad i started with i have fish in hand, is it going to be grilled fish, well i have not worked with fish much, so thats all i know, so grilled fish indeed, and with thyme in hand i wanted to try lemon and thyme fish.
For me fish needs some grains to go with it, and my current love after quinoa is barley, and its a wholesome grain to accompany a lighter fish, so barley it was. I had some boiled beans / rajma, handy so i wanted to add that too. So i had some idea where the dish was going. I thought i will stick to the lemon and thyme flavors, and created a lemon and thyme dressing, with a little hit of chilli added to it, else it felt too subtle and blande for my palate.
Oh how can i forget to talk about my first stint with 7 minute eggs. For the uninitiated, a 7 minute egg, is a egg boiled for exactly 7 minutes, and hence has a slightly soft yolk, and just done whites. Its super cool, read notes to understand the process. It all worked together brilliantly is what G said, iam assuming he enjoyed it, i hope you like it too.
- 4-6 medium basa fish fillet pieces, thawed
- 1 cup pearl barley, cooked
- 1/2 cup mixed peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup kidney beans / rajma, cooked.
- 1/2 cup lettuce, roughly torn.
- salt and pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- few thyme sprigs, leaves separated
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- 1 tsp soy sauce(optional)
- olive oil
- 1 egg, boiled for 7 minutes
Ingredients for dressing
- 1 tsp olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch of thyme leaves
- pinch of chilli flakes
- Boil the egg for 7 minutes, peel and set aside. See notes.
- Cook the barley, microwave for 15-10 minutes, or boil in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. Set aside.
- Heat a non stick pan, add some olive oil, grated garlic, half a lemon juice, zest of lemon, and salt and pepper.
- Add the thawed basa pieces, and fry on high for 2-3 minutes on each side or till brown on edges.
- Set it aside. Meanwhile cut veggies except cucumber and lettuce, and saute them for 1-2 minutes in the same pan.
- Add the cooked barley and beans to it and sprinkle some salt and peer and soy sauce, if using. Fry for another 2 minutes, and switch off the heat.
- Prepare the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a small jar and shake well. Set aside.
- Once cool, add the cucumber and lettuce, top it with the eggs and fish, and serve.
- Drizzle the dressing only if required.
- 7 minutes egg : Add egg to boiling water and time for 6:45 minutes, remove and immediately add to ice cold water. When completely cold, peel, and cut lengthwise, the yellow will be a little liquidy and soft.
- Add any veggies you like, like carrot, brocolli, red cabbage, beans.
- Replace the fish with some tofu, for a vegetarian version.
- Omit the egg, if you don’t like it.