Italian Chicken Salad was one of my accidental inventions one morning when i was looking for some change. Am not sure why i call this an Italian Chicken salad, maybe because it has all the veggies i associate with Italian food. Bell peppers, and zucchini, and pesto, which is so italian in itself. This is yet another salad that the husband loves.
If you are a regular here you would know that i pack a salad everyday in the husbands lunchbox, and most of my lunches are also Salads. The husband can live on this favorite Chicken Garden Salad, but me being me, i need change every now and then, i cannot feed myself the same salad everyday. It was one such day when i was excited to use my new gadget, a vegetable spiralizer. I use this BonZeal Spiralizer, not too expensive, and easy to use.
This like most of my salads is very easy to put together. I use store bought pesto most of the time, and that makes my life pretty easy. In the mornings i hardly have time to breathe, and in half sleep i have to get done with breakfast and lunch before 7:15, so you can take my word that my salads are super quick to fix, just a little planning while shopping for grocery in the beginning of the week and we are good to go.
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp Apple cider viger / 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 small yellow / green zucchini
- 1/2 cup strips of red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup salad greens
Ingredients for marinade
- 1/2 tsp pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make sure your chicken breast is thawed , soft n nice, when you start preparing.
- Clean the salad greens multiple times in clean water, and dry it on a kitchen towel to get rid of all the water.
- Rub the marinade ingredients on to the chicken breast roughly, and let it stay in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients, make zucchini noodles, cut the peppers, mix the dressing ingredients, and set them aside.
- Heat a grill pan, take the chicken out, and grill it for 5 minutes on each side.
- Also spread the zuchhini spirals and peppers on the corners in the last 2 minutes, keep turning them around to lightly grill them , just a little brown here and there, and remove them.
- Let the chicken Rest for 5 minutes when done.
- Shred the chicken in long strips, almost the same size of the pepper strips, and let it cool completely.
- Mix the chicken, peppers, and zucchini noodles. Add the greens, and generously pour the dressing over, serve cold.