Grilled Plum and Arugula Salad packed with nutrients and flavors like sweetness from balsamic glazed plums and chicken, peppery arugula, and topped with feta and nuts.
I cannot stress enough that i love adding fruits to my salads. Plums, strawberries, watermelon, oranges, grapefruit, you name it and i love it. And the beauty of mixing fruits with greens in you salads is that you get the best of both worlds, top them with nuts and you have a power packed meal ready in minutes.
G says if theres a fruit of the Gods, its plums, and if theres a language of the Gods its Spanish. I am not contending him, hence making salads with plums in it, is my favorite, to see him gleam with joy and stealing those extra pieces of plums that i had saved for myself, i will not trade anything for that joy in the mornings.
Theres also a quick blender dressing (my new favorite way of making dressings), with thyme, plums and wine vinegar, compliments the salad beautifully.
- 3-4 ripe plums, cut into wedges
- handful of arugula leaves, washed.
- 1 chicken breast, thawed.
- 2-3 feta cubes crumbled
- 1 tbsp of almond slivers, toasted
- 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
Ingredients for dressing
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 plum wedge
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar / cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- few thyme leaves
- Blend all the dressing ingredients in a blender, and strain, and keep aside.
- Clean the arugula leaves and dry them on kitchen towels.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar and honey in a bowl.
- Add the plum wedges in the mixture and cover all the corners, mixing with your fingers.
- Heat a grill pan, and when hot, add the wedges, and let it have grill marks on 1-2 sides.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In the remaining balsamic mixture add salt and pepper and some olive oil, marinate the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Clean the grill pan, Grill the chicken 4 minutes on each side, remove from heat, and wrap it in an aluminium foil for 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken cool, and tear thin strips of chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients, grilled plums, arugula, chicken strips, feta crumble and almonds.
- Drizzle the dressing, and serve at room temperature.