Grapefruit Arugula Salad is a beautiful summer salad with the unique sweet and tart freshness of grapefruits and bitter wild arugula / rocket and a refreshing citrus honey dressing.
I have had this salad in my mind forever, since my bhabhi, A introduced me to this fruit, which is used commonly in Assam in a chutney. I couldn’t get myself upto making the chutney by myself, but always wanted to see these pretty fruit segments with my favorite green, arugula or wild rockets. I was thrilled when i happened to buy them both together. Yippie, time to try this salad.
I was a little skeptical about the dressing, I had learnt it from 2 of my favorite arugula salads, one from CPK, and one from Innerchef that any salad with arugula and fruits needs some sweet dressing to cut through the strong flavors of the leaves. And am glad i managed to come up with a decent dressing, will update if i find any better dressing.
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 cup fresh wild arugula / rocket.
- 1 grapefruit, membranes removed and cut into segments.
- 2 tbsp almond flakes, toasted
- 1 chicken breast, thawed.
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean the arugula leaves gently under running water, and lay them open on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Peel the grapefruit, and gently cut it into segments, remove the membranes.
- Marinate the chicken breast with olive oil, salt and pepper for 5 minutes.
- Grill it on a grill pan on high heat for 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat, and wrap it in an aluminium foil and let it cook in its own heat.
- Open after 5 minutes and let it cool, and shred into long strips.
- Make the dressing, mix all the ingredients, in a jar, and give a good shake.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, gently with your fingers.
- Pour the dressing and toasted almonds right before serving.
- You can replace the grapefruit with blood oranges or regular orange segments.
- This works beautifully with baby spinach too.
- The aluminium foil method, makes the chicken very juicy, try it.
- Read the Salad Dressings Simplified article to build your own favorite salad dressing.
- I have listed my favorite salad add ons, discover your choice of add ons there.
- Read the Salad Basics Decoded to read more on salad basics if it may interest you.