This Coconut Besan Barfi
is a delicious and melt -in-your mouth sweet, which has become my signature sweet / mithai to all social tam-brahm gatherings now. This soft coconut, milk and besan barfi, has become my signature Mithayee now. All the ingredients are so balanced, you can taste the Besan, Milk and coconut in each bite. Lightly sweet, quick to make, and easily available ingredients, i would really want you to try this recipe.
I made this barfi two years ago for Navaratri. Everyone loved it. Now every year for Navaratri my guests expect my Signature dish. It is my go-to dessert to prep for guests coming over, a festival or of course navaratri. We tambrahms love making one new dessert and sundal on each day of navaratri, and hence the need for variety. Started as an experiment, i have tried to put a standard recipe for it, for anyone to try easily at home.
Impress your guests this Diwali by making this really quick and easy Barfi.
- 1 cup Besan / Gram Flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds / roasted cashew, chopped
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and fry the Besan for 5 to 7 minutes in low flame.
- Slowly add the milk and coconut and mix well without any lump.
- Add sugar and 1/2 cup of ghee and keep stirring occasionally.
- Once everything comes in a ball like consistency add rest of the ghee and cardamom powder.
- Continue stirring for 5 minutes, the mixture must leave some ghee in the corners.
- Pour the Barfi mixture in a greased tray / round plate. Sprinkle all the chopped nuts. Let it cool fully.
- Cut the Barfi into pieces as you like, either square, or the typical diamond.
- You can increase the sugar content if you find it less sweet.
- Make sure you do not burn the besan, but bring it to a light brown so that its not raw when you add the other ingredients.