This Chinese Grilled Chicken Salad as the name suggests is a yum-i-licious salad with all the goodness of asian flavors, grilled chicken and the healthy greens and veggies. It all started with me wanting to make a chinese style grilled chicken and dressing, and because i had some purple cabbage in the refrigerator. I know salads tend to get boring, so its my and The Food Sagas responsibility to present to you good filling and delicious salads that even the diet scared people can come back to time and again. Ans so, this is an attempt towards it.
I cannot stress more that when i wanted to adapt salads into my regular eating habits, i was close to a panic attack, i hate bland green salads, and could never understand how do people go crazy over those leafy salads, so i decided i will not go by the definition of salads, and make nutritionally balanced salads with filling add ons rich like grains, beans, proteins like chicken etc to make sure, it not boring. This is one such attempt and a regular in the husbands lunchbox.
Jokes apart, with time i have become more conscious about the balance in my day to day food, the right balance between greens, proteins, nutrients and yumminess. So here purple cabbage are high on antioxidants, and when thinly shredded taste good as well, it may feel a little dry, i dry saute / steam half of them at times for just 2 minutes, to make them a little soft and still not lose the crunchiness.
Asian flavours here come from soy sauce, ginger, red chillies and a little sugar. If u like your Chinese, this salad will not disappoint you.
Ingredients for Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cm slice of ginger, grated
- 1/2 garlic clove, grated
- 3-4 pinches pepper
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 Chicken Breast, defrosted
- Handful of Purple Cabbage Lettuce, roughly cut
- 1 sprig of spring onions, cut 1.5 inches lengthwise
- 1 cup of mixed red / yellow and green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
Ingredients for Garnish
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp roasted crunchy peanuts (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar, and shake well, and let it rest for 10 minutes to let the flavors blend well.
- Use 2 tbsp of the vinaigrette and add a tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, add the defrosted chicken in a ziplock bag and shake well, let it sit in the refrigerator for 15 mins.
- Grill the chicken 5-6 minutes on both sides till its just cooked through, let it cool for 5 minutes, before you shred it into long strips, in similar size as the veggies.
- When the chicken is cool and shredded, mix the veggies and chicken with your fingers and drizzle the salad dressing and garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts.
- The vinaigrette can be prepared in advance and stays in the refrigerator.
- If you are packing the salad for a lunchbox, pack the dressing and toppings separately.
- Purple cabbage adds to the asian flavors, you can substitute it with regular cabbage.
- You can omit the peanuts, but an added crunch is good.
- Read the Salad Dressings Simplified article to build your own favorite salad dressing.
- I have listed my favorite salad add ons, discover your choice of add ons there.
- Read the Salad Basics Decoded to read more on salad basics if it may interest you.