Broccoli Salad with Light Yogurt Dressing will be your new favorite way of having broccoli , full of flavor with crunchy broccoli, crispy red onion, cranberries, and almonds, some grilled chicken and quinoa all mixed together with a sweet and savory light and cream yogurt dressing. Perfect all through!
I cannot repeat salads too often. Period. I need some excitement when putting together a salad every morning, and then comes some stunner, and some failures. Thanks to pinterest, and some lovely salad making bloggers in the west, i have learnt oodles about salads in the last 2 years, and thankfully end up whipping more star salads than failures.
This one has everything good, broccoli, quinoa, grilled chicken, cranberries, toasted almonds, and a light yogurt dressing. Classic broccoli salads have a creamy and heavy mayo based dressing, which is a little guilt tripping too, here i have tried making a lighter version with yogurt and flavours like mustard and parsley to create a lighter and fresher dressing, and if i may say so myself, it’s a keeper of a dressing.
If you are a vegetarian, replace the chicken with some apples, and if you don’t have cranberries handle replace them with raisins, and its as good a salad. You can even add in some sunflower seeds instead of almonds or along with them.
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets.
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, thin strands
- 1 chicken breast, thawed
- 1/8th cup dried cranberries, cut into halves
- 1 tbsp almonds slices, toasted
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil for frying
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp regular yogurt / dahi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 pinches crushed mustard
- 2 pinches parsley, finely chopped
- Soak the red onions in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients, pour it in a small jar and shake well.
- Grill the chicken, marinate in olive oil, salt and pepper for 15 minutes.
- Grill in a grill pan for 4 mins on each side. Let it cool and Cut in thin strands, and set aside.
- Quick stir fry the broccoli with think garlic strands for only 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle some salt, cover, and let it cool.
- In a larger bowl, combine the ingredients for the salad. Add the red onions and the grilled chicken. Pour the dressing on top.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Don’t over fry the broccoli, else it will lose the crunch, you can even blanch it or use it raw, i like it fried a little.
- If you are a vegetarian, replace the chicken with some apples.
- If you don’t have cranberries handle replace them with raisins, and its as good a salad.
- You can even add in some sunflower seeds instead of almonds or along with them.
- Soaking of onions is important, to remove the pungent odour and sourness.
- The dressing can be used in other salads too.