1. Prepare all the ingredients as per the ingredient list, breads, corners cut, save the corners, you can prepare bread crumbs out of it, for future use.
2. Prepare the stuffing, heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now add the onions and fry till they turn golden brown, i prefer them a little crispier, so i brown it a little further till a few of them turn dark brown, say another 2 minutes on medium high.
3. Now add the spices and fry for another minute.
4. Mash the boiled potatoes meanwhile and add to the onions and mix well so that all the potatoes are coated well with the masala, and had an even yellow colour.
5. Take it off the heat and add the coriander leaves and mix well again, place it in an open plate or bowl and let it cool completely.
6. Now to prepare the bread rolls, take some water in a bowl big enough to lightly dunk the bread slices, and heat the oil for deep frying so that its heated by the time you have a roll ready.
7. Take one slice at a time, dunk the slice lightly on the water surface, don’t immerse it into the water, just let it touch the surface, do so on both the sides and lightly squeeze by placing it in between both your palms, be gentle, squeeze out all the water but make sure its evenly wet, and is soft all over.
8. Make a cup in one of your palms and place the bread slice over it, add a tbsp of the potato mixture into the cavity and try sealing the ends, Since its a square, you will have extra bread on the tops, use both your palms and roll it into an oval shape, sealing it all around.
9. Don’t worry for any minor openings, these rolls are very forgiving, they generally don’t burst in the oil if there are very tiny holed left around.
10. Check the oil if its heated well, test it by throwing in a tiny pinch of bread, if it quickly rises to the surface and browns in an instant, your oil is ready.
11. Add the rolls one at a time to the oil and stir for even frying, till a pretty dark golden brown, frying on medium high gives the best results.
12. One after the other, quickly the bread rolls are ready to be savored with adrak wali masala chai and some hari chutney and tomato ketchup, i didn’t have any green chutney handy so it was only ketchup this time.