This particular Boondi Raita with hinge jeere ka tadka is my husband’s favourite. Of the year and a half we’ve been married, I kept serving raita to him with my regular dose of sugar until the day when he requested for a ‘tadke wala raita’.Having never made it, I asked by mother-in- law how she does it and pat came the recipe.
Yes, i completely forgot that every indian home has their own version of tadka, be it for the dal, or for the raita. Thats the beauty of our food. Hope you will like this recipe as much as my husband does.
Ingredients for Tempering
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- ½ tbsp. red chilli powder (optional)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup boondi
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients (apart from boondi) for the raita in a bowl, whip it well with a spoon or awhip.
- Add the boondi, mix well again.
- Heat some oil in a small pan, Prepare the tempering with all the ingredients for tempering, jeera, red chilli powder and heeng.
- Add the tempering to the raita and mix.
- Serve chilled
- Add the boondi to the raita only when required, else it will become soggy. You will want to maintain the crunch.