Banana Bread is the best bread / cake recipe for beginners. It forms the best memory for you, always delights and you will recommend it to anyone who wants to start baking. Banana bread, though called a bread, is actually a tea cake, thats best accompaniment for an evening tea or for the kids snack box or mid day munching.
I remember this was almost 6-7 years back when i was first given a home centre gift coupon by my aunts, and i bought my first 18 ltr oven to start trying baking. I was thrilled and nervous to bits, baking is not at all natural to us, i had never seen anyone bake. But i knew banana bread is the easiest bread, doesn’t look too plain like any butter cake, looks a little fancy, but of so forgiving. It turned out brilliant, through years i made variations in the recipe to get this perfect light, and delicious banana bread recipe.
5 Secrets of Best Banana Bread.
- Ripe Bananas : Yes the utmost secret is overripe bananas, if you don’t have any, you can ripe your bananas in minutes, microwave the bananas for 3 minutes, and there you have ripe bananas.
- Extra Dairy : Apart from the butter, additions of that extra sour cream or just fresh cream does magic for extra flavor and moistness, and you will swear by it.
- Dark Sugar : If you can add dark brown sugar instead of the regular sugar, the flavors will be more intense.
- Mashed Bananas : Quick grind the banana in a mixer to get the perfect mashed bananas, if the fork mixing is not your thing.
- Extra Chocolate and nuts : Add a total of mixed walnuts and chocolate chips to the mixture to add that extra flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar + 1 tbsp for top
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 bananas, mashed + 1 for top.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp sour cream / fresh cream
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Combine well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture.
- Add crushed walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Slit a Banana from the middle, and lay it on top of the pan, and sprinkle the sugar to get the best caramelised finish.
- Bake at 170 degrees for 50 minutes. Test with toothpick, and cool in wirerack.
- If you want to use a combination of both nuts and chocolate, use up to 1 cup total.
- Pan: 1 (9- by 5- by 3-inch) loaf pan.
- You may want to substitute the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour and it works fine.