Barley Prawn Pineapple Salad is a delicious salad bursting with flavors and packed with fibre, perfect for lunch or dinner, or a side in a party.
This is one of my favorite salads to make, originating from what i have in the pantry. Barley tick, very few veggies tick, no leafy veggies!, and freezer with a supply of prawns always. Then we start thinking, oh only barley prawn sounds boring, it needs some other kick of flavors, and there came in my favorite combination with prawns, that is pineapple, well that comes after garlic butter. (Yes i have recently developed a strong liking for prawns, and looks like there is no looking back. )
The flavors go brilliantly well with each other, i have a feeling some stone fruit will also go equally well with prawns, if you dont have tinned pineapples handy, but am not too sure, as am yet to try it. Also just a barley salad is good for a vegeterian version, load it with your favorite veggies, and voila, you have a great salad handly, i have tried a mushroom spinach version with barley and it works brilliantly.
Barley comes in 2 forms, 1 husked barley, brown in color, more fiber, more nutritious, and the other is pearl barley, easier to cook, but less on the nutrients, i use pearl barley for the ease to cook on rushed mornings, and its even more moist, but if you are ok with the dryness of the husked barley go for it.
- 1/2 cup frozen prawns, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup of barley, cooked and cooled.
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of bell peppers, finely chopped.
- 1/4 cup coriander chopped.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple, tinned, diced.
- 2 pinch sugar
- 2 pinch chilli flakes
- 1/8th cup, coriander / parsley leaves chopped
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic grated
- 2 pinches of sugar
Wash and chop bell peppers without seeds. Chop the onions, and set aside.
Whisk together the salad dressing and set aside.
Dice fresh or canned pineapple into 1/2 ” pieces.
Cook barley as per package instructions and set it aside to cool.
In a non stick pan / skillet on high heat, add butter, and grated garlic, and quickly saute the prawns for 2-3 minutes on each side max, and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, add 1/2 tsp oil, sprinkle sugar, and chilli flakes, and add the pineapple cubes and sautee till it browns on corners, set aside.
- In the same pan, add some olive oil, saute the onions and bell peppers, you shouldnt cook them too much, max 1-2 minutes, as you want to retain the crunch.
- Mix all the ingredients, along with the dressing, and let the barley soak the dressing.
Serve immediately warm or chill completely before eating or at room temperature, all works.
1. Use a mix of peppers, or any veggies like zucchinni or carrots in hand.
2. Bring 1 cup – 3 cups, pearled barley and water to boil with a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, covered, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. You can also pressure cook for 2 whistles, and drain, it works beautifully.