Banana Overnight Oats are my saviour breakfast these days. These overnight oats are a healthy, no-cook, make ahead breakfast, Creamy oats flavoured with brown sugar or honey, cinnamon and bananas, and loaded with the crunch of nuts. If you are unfamiliar with the term overnight oats, let me explain. You take oats (i prefer mine, slightly roasted), milk / yogurt, flavorings of your choice, fruits of your choice, mix them all in a jar or a bowl, and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight. The oats absorb the liquids and the flavors, and becomes a nice and creamy oats, just like you would have cooked.
I enjoy my oats at room temperature, G needs them cold and crunchy, do as you like, overnight oats make a great breakfast on the go. Play with what you add, and you have a brilliant oats ready. I add chia seeds and some flax seeds powder to this, for a different flavor and added nutrients. Make your own combination, and make your breakfast look like you have put in a lot of efforts, whereas its just smart thinking. This for the #MoodyMondays when quick and yumm is what is the call for the day.
This version is a favorite as G loves bananas, and we always have them handy at home, so we need not worry if we have the right fruits to jazz up our oats. Otherwise my favorite is this fruit and nut oatmeal with apple and pears. Try these out, or build your own version. We would love to hear from you, just a shout out on any medium means a ton to me.
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chia / sabza seeds
- 1 tsp brown sugar / 2 tsp honey
- 2 pinch cinnamon powder
- 2 tbps chopped nuts of choice(walnuts / pecans / pistachios)
- 1 banana, sliced
- Additional brown sugar, for caramelising banana (optional)
Take a mason jar or bowl, combine oats, milk / yogurt, chia seeds / flax seeds, brown sugar / honey, and cinnamon.
Stir to combine thoroughly and then cover with a lid or plate, and refrigerate overnight.
Right before serving, add half of the sliced bananas, top it with caramelised bananas, chopped nuts, and some chia seeds for crunch.
If it looks too thick while serving add a few splashes of milk as you may like.
- Play with the flavors, and discover your favorite overnight oats flavor.
- How i did the caramelised bananas, heat a pan, sprinkle some sugar, add the banana slices, and flip till it turns pretty shiny golden.
- You can skip caramelising, just top with some bananas, and sprinkle some honey, to make it look a little dramatic, yes i cannot have food that doesn’t look appealing.