Kale Quinoa and Apple Salad with Cranberries and Almonds is many super foods packed salad in one exciting blend of flavors, textures, and colors that just screams umami!
Kale leaves are our new found love. One of the most famous super foods, kale belongs from the cabbage family, and is actually super filled with nutrients, dense and filling, yet hardly anything on the bad calories. “A cup of Kale comes with a total of 33 calories, 6 grams of carbs (2 of which are fiber) and 3 grams of protein. “(Source : Authority Nutrition ) Also read a pretty comprehensive article on 10 Benefits of juicing Kale by Helen Sanders of Health Ambition.
If you know me, you know that iam a big big big fan of fruits in my Salads, hence apple features way too often in my salads, but i like how the natural sweetness of fruits plays brilliantly with a dressing, and you end up going for more.
Iam not a big fan of what nutrients are there in which leaf, or fruit or veggie, but i simply believe in clean eating, less refined, less ‘handled’ food is the best. Make it fresh in your kitchen, consciously and i guess you will eventually be eating right. And once in a while adding many good things, will give you a good mix of nutrients too. May sound naive, but works for me, else making salads will not stay enjoyable to me, it will become stressful, ain’t there enough stress in life anyways!
- 1/2 apple, bite sized slices.
- 1 cup kale leaves, torn into small pieces.
- 1 tbsp of rainbow quinoa, cooked.
- 7-8 dried cranberries, washed, sliced
- 8-10 almonds, sliced, toasted.
- 1/4 red onion, thin slices
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp yogurt, smooth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp mustard, crushed / 1 tsp honey mustard
- salt and pepper
- Wash the leaves and fruits well, and cut into bite sized slices, and tear the kale leaves.
- Cook the quinoa in 1 cup of water, till cooked and fluffy.
- Make the dressing by mixing the ingredients, in a small jar, shake it well, and set aside.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a salad bowl, drizzle the dressing over it, and mix gently.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Replace the kale leaves with mixed lettuces, but the nutty flavour of kale is irreplaceable.
- Substitute the apple cider vinegar with 1/2 lime juice, if not available.
- G doesn’t like apples, so i made some honey glazed grilled chicken for him to go with the salad.