I cannot say it enough that Salads are not native to us Indians, soo if you are one of those who doesn’t like salads, believe me you are not alone! I never liked salads until recently when i started packing salads for Gargs lunchbox and had to study and learn more about salads and i realised with the right dressings other than the oil and lemon or the balsamic one you keep getting, and beautiful add ons, salads can become wow-so-a-ma-zing and flavorful and filling.
A good salad as we discussed in the Salad Basics can be a mix and match of the basic salad components like greens, veggies and fruits, protiens and carbs, salad dressing, and texture and add ons. So the greens forming the base, the choice of the right add ons, will decide if your salad will satiate your hunger or not, too many, you will be confused enough to think which taste to remember :). Presenting to you my favorite addons that make the dessert crazy me yearn for my salads.
- Seeds and Nuts – the variety is unlimited but the top favorites in order are roasted almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, mixed seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, melon seeds, sesame seeds.
- Cheeses – Cheeses adding a salty element here and there in the salad like shaved parmesan, crumbled goat cheese, marinated feta, or pretty little balls of boccacini, and life is set!
- Fruits – like pomegranate, apple, pears which are not too sweet but add a lot of crunch.
- Gherkins – or wild cucumbers are the best sour and crunchy addition to your salads.
- Olives / Capers – pitted green or black olives and also the small pea sized greed pickleish thing called capers.
- Sundried tomatoes – as they are too sour, add very little and see the difference.
- Pasta / Grains – save some boiled pasta from your pasta night or some couscous or quinoa or millets or brown rice to add some carbs n protein to your salad and make it more filling.
- Croutons – the traditional croutons or the cheats, toast cut into small pieces add a good crunch.
- Beans – boiled chickpeas, red lentils / rajma, cannelloni beans, or any bean or oyur choice and even boiled eggs are a superb addition to up the protein in the salad and also makes it filling.
- Grilled veggies – broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, ribbons or big chunks.
Are there some of your favorite add ons that we have missed, please do write to us, so that we can keep the list perfect for our readers.